Friday, July 24, 2015

R.I.P., Elisabeth Elliot.

Many of you have probably heard of Jim Elliot, but if you have not, I suggest that you take some time to learn about his inspirational biography. The movie End of the Spear was based off of his life and the impact it made. A quick read of what made him famous can also be found here. As famous as Jim Elliot is, his wife is the one who makes his story worth knowing.

"When obedience to God contradicts what I think will give me pleasure, let me ask myself if I love him." ~Elisabeth Elliot

While reading through some of Elisabeth's quotes, this one stuck out to me. I have always loved the verses John 14:15 and 23 which say, "If you love me, keep my commands." and "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching." But this quote reminds me of the command that I so consistently fail to keep: "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice." (Philippians 4:4). I try to obey the Lord in everything I do, but if I am being honest, most of the time, I lack joy.

I have had discussions here in Argentina about how serving the Lord sometimes require us to sacrifice our dreams. I feel that many of us have dreams in common. So many of us have dreams of traveling to specific countries, being married, having children, receiving a certain degree, or reaching some level of financial comfort. Some of us have accomplished our dreams, while others of us have reached none. The Lord, however, never promises us any of this. In fact, the Bible says in Philippians 3:8, "I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ." Can I get an Amen?!

Back to what I was saying in the beginning, I love Elisabeth Elliot because she challenges me. Elisabeth Elliot challenges my obedience. Am I willing to sacrifice everything I have and genuinely risk my life to follow and obey Him? Elisabeth Elliot challenges my idea of pleasure. Is my pleasure found in attaining my aspirations or solely Him? Elisabeth Elliot challenges my love. If I truly love the Lord, will I not rejoice in obedience of all kinds? She challenges my heart, my desires, and my bucket list! Please pray that I can constantly evaluate my intentions with every action I take here and, of course, when I return.

I wish I could thank Elisabeth for how much she helped me in my faith, but I know so many people have told her that already, and I know everything is for God's glory anyways.

Psalm 116:11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

R.I.P., Elisabeth Elliot. Rest In Pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment