Sunday, August 2, 2015

Shots Fired

For the past few weeks, CFCI has been visiting a new shanty town on Saturdays called La Favela. A few of our volunteers go there while the rest (the majority) go to Los Galpones. When I was elected to go to La Favela a few weeks back, I really enjoyed it. The kids are much different there. They are much less violent and impatient, which makes it much easier to communicate with them. I started asking to go back (especially since we finish earlier and still get to go to Los Galpones).

Even though the kids seem to have less physical needs, I still see their spiritual deprivation and desperation. I see that some of them hate God. I see that some of them hate each other. I wish I could stay longer to keep reaching out to them and to see how God works in their lives, but I know that God is calling me back to the States for now. As I believe I have mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I have been considering taking this next year off from school to start working with my family with a new insurance agency. After weeks of prayer, I have officially decided that I will be staying home this upcoming year.

Yesterday, the plans in Los Galpones were to watch a movie called Joseph, the King of Dreams. The kids were so excited to see it. To be honest, I was really worried about someone stealing the equipment while we were there, especially since we told them ahead of time that we would be playing a movie. I was told that when our group arrived, nobody was outside. They said it was very strange, but they proceeded regardless. I was told that the children eventually came and were so thrilled  to watch the movie. "This is just like in the movie theaters!", they said. Even the most rambunctious of children were telling the others to stay quiet during the movie. While I was in La Favela, one of the leaders from the other church that was working there said that we had to get going earlier than usual.

I remember my first time in Los Galpones when I was washing dishes and this loud clash hit the outside of the house. I remember thinking it was a gunshot, but I was not scared because nobody reacted. Someone then explained that it was only a rock and that that was common. Yesterday while watching the movie, the same type of event occurred, except this time, two of the leaders ran into the house, told everyone to get on the ground, and closed the door. Apparently, there was a shoot-out. The supposed rock that hit the window was actually a bullet. With children being held and watching the movie just on the other side, we were even more grateful that God had protected us. While talking to one of my friends who was there, she told me that she was not scared. She then recited one of the three verses she knows in English.

Philippians 1:21 For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 

This verse is one of my favorites. It says that my life is not mine. Because Christ gave His life for me, I give my life to Him in gratitude. All I want to do is be more like Him and worship Him. That is why to die is gain. In Heaven, we sin no more. In Heaven, all we do is worship our Creator and Savior. I know God has a purpose for me to be on this Earth right now, but I cannot wait for the day when I am reunited with Him face to face. I am not afraid to go back to Los Galpones. In fact, I eagerly look forward to it. To God be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment