Monday, August 3, 2015

Big Time Difference

As I am coming very close to the end of my mission this Summer (eight days left!), I have recently noticed that there is a bigger time difference between the US and Argentina than I realized. When I told countless friends and family that I was going on a missions trip in another country for two months, I remember everyone thinking it was such a long time. But here, everyone keeps telling me how short my time is.

One thing I have learned here is that truly learning a culture takes years. Truly learning a language takes even longer. (But is culture a part of language or is language a part of culture? Oooh.)  People need to stop think we are so internationally-minded because they have been to other countries. The world really is so diverse. I was not planning on writing this, but I feel called to say, do you ever think about how vast the knowledge of this world is? For example, there is no way that one person could know about all of the cultures there are in the world. Do you ever think about how limited our brains are that we have to spend years to obtain X number of degrees in one specific area? And then after you have spent all those years studying that, there are still hundreds of other topics to study and/or learn? Or how about spending your whole life learning how to play an instrument or even five instruments, only to face the reality that there are thousands of instruments to be played? Our human brains are so little and incapable compared to the Almighty God.

Isaiah 55:9 As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment